‘One appointment, one problem’ – Make the most of your appointment
- Ask yourself – how important is being seen quickly? Could I seek advice from an alternative source? Would I be better waiting to see a GP who knows my condition?
- If a GP runs late – are they spending necessary time with patients? One day you may appreciate them running late for you!
- It’s sensible to bring a list – however, consider what’s achievable in 10 minutes. 4 problems? That’s 150 seconds each. It’s usually better to come back again rather than squeezing everything into 10 minutes.
- Beforehand – work out what’s really worrying you. Make short notes that describe your symptoms.
- Get to the point – don’t beat around the bush and don’t ‘save’ important issues until the end
- Wear accessible clothing if you’re likely to need to undress for an examination
- Make sure you understand what’s been agreed and what’s happening next